[QGIS-Developer] Two proposals -- moratorium on LLM use, and requiring a "proof of life" for contributors

Ian Turton ijturton at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 04:23:08 PDT 2026


On Wed, 16 Sept 2026, 12:11 Even Rouault via QGIS-Developer, <
qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

>
> Le 16/09/2026 à 09:12, Alessandro Pasotti via QGIS-Developer a écrit :
> > Sounds reasonable to me.
> >
> > About #2, as long as the proof of life entry fee is low enough to not
> > discourage a human, it sounds good too.
> >
> > Would you mind sketching a QEP for these policy changes?
> >
> > FYI here is the current policy in GDAL
> > https://gdal.org/en/stable/community/ai_tool_policy.html
>
> I believe that GDAL current policy is too loose compared to the goals
> expressed by Nyall.
>
> Maybe there should be some checkbox in PR templates:
>
> [ ] I declare that no AI coding agent is installed on my machine and
> that I didn't have any access to one during the development of this
> contribution.
>

That's a very high bar, I can't work out how to remove the AI from intellij
though I can turn it off and hide the button.

Ian

>
> --
> http://www.spatialys.com
> My software is free, but my time generally not.
> LLMs contribute to global warming and brain rot.
> Let's guillotine them! "Ah ! ça ira, ça ira, ça ira !"
>
> _______________________________________________
> QGIS-Developer mailing list
> QGIS-Developer at lists.osgeo.org
> List info: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/attachments/20260916/f512d347/attachment-0001.htm>


More information about the QGIS-Developer mailing list