[QGIS-it-user] Integrare SAGA 7.x in processing

Stefano Campus skampus a gmail.com
Mer 25 Nov 2020 14:11:19 PST

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/40260#issuecomment-733932354

Riporto quanto consigliato da Nyall Dawson a proposito della scelta dei
moduli in qgis.

"Whenever I'm teaching qgis I always recommend that users pick algorithms
in this order:

Qgis native provider: it's the most actively maintained and will work with
ALL layer sources supported by qgis, also has nice functionality like
saving results directly into existing geopackages, postgres database, etc,
and the ability to "data define" parameters values so that they vary
feature by feature. Also very fast, and no loss of attributes/quality
caused by conversion to intermediate formats.

Gdal: a fantastic choice for any raster operations. Algorithms are super
robust and extremely well tested, and heavily optimised for speed.

Grass: algorithms are extremely robust and mature, but very difficult to
learn and suffer from a confusing mash of options. You definitely need to
read the manual before using a tool. Also can be quite slow due to forced
conversion the grass data types, which can also cause loss/modification of
attribute information. But on the plus side, an absolute ton of
functionality which isn't available elsewhere.

Saga. Use as an absolute last resort. Don't touch the vector algorithms as
all have better alternatives in the other providers. Badly tested,
frequently breaks, and unfortunately also often outputs incorrect results.
Use only when there's no other alternative, and make sure you perform your
own qa on the results to verify that the tool is indeed working as
advertised.

That's my 2c at least, but it's based on my years of experience in using
and maintaining (and developing) these tools."