[Qgis-psc] Improving the effectiveness of my role

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Thu Jan 9 23:27:56 PST 2014

HI Paolo

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 9:10 AM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>wrote:

> Hi all.
> QGIS is growing noticeably in many respects, and I feel the role of
> marketing and financial advisor should be strengthened and improved
> accordingly, to intercept more resources to fill up chores nobody wants
> to do, and to improve our perceived credibility as partners for larger
> institutions and enterprises.
> To do so, I believe the basic functioning should be smoother, so it will
> be easier to concentrate on the outreach. I'm therefore proposing to:
> * automatize the processing of donations (Juergen kindly offered to help
> with this - danke!)
> * have a formal book keeper, so to have the current situation and the
> historical trends ready at hand.

We can help with this - I have a book keeper working for me and I am happy
to donate some of her time to maintain books for QGIS. We use an online
accounting system so I can give you a log in to that and you can then
access the accounts at any time. If you are happy to go this route contact
me off list and I will provide you with a login and get things going.

> To do so, I think two steps are sooner or later necessary:
> * being a legal entity (NGO-like, I suppose)

Yes. By the way I did speak to world bank following our discussion two PSC
meetings ago to see if big funding organisations have any specific opinion
about the Swiss non profit that Marco H mentioned (I forget the name of it
off hand). She wasnt particularly sure but I get the impression it would be
fine.

> * having an individual bank account.

Yes I think this makes sense too so that you can have direct access to the
account. With our bookkeeper, you could just log in say once a month and
send her the bank statement, as well as forwarding her any receipts and she
can lodge them all in the accounting system.

> Obviously, our finances being still small, we must keep costs down for
> all the above (also, we want the money to go into code, not into paper,
> right?).
> I would greatly appreciate your opinions about this. If we agree this is
> the right course of action, any suggestions on where to establishing the
> NGO and opening a new account (or how to get additional info) would be
> precious.
> Given that most of our activities (many sponsors, most developers, HFs,
> etc.) are in Europe, I suspect this area could be our first choice.

Yeah I think getting our own ?verein? (SWISS non profit) seems a good way
to go - besides everyone loves putting their money into a Swiss bank
account :-)

> All the best.
> --
> Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu

Tim Sutton - QGIS Project Steering Committee Member
 * QGIS programming services
 * GeoDjango web development
 * FOSS Consulting Services
Skype: timlinux Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net