[Qgis-psc] Request for sponsorship

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Thu Jan 15 13:52:16 PST 2015

Hi

>From my side I would like to see also that we plan out out spending more,
and yes we definitely need to have published / public annual statement of
accounts that we can point potential funders too and demonstrate that we
manage our cash responsibly.

In this particular case I am ok with funding the rotation work to get it
stabilised but I think it would be better if we plan out our activities
e.g. for the next year. It need not be detailed but I would like to see us
make room for funding other things in particular:

* issue tracker maintenance (we discussed this before here)
* pre-release bug fixing (probably with gradually increasing funding for
this)
* graphics and UI consistency
* API documentation - to get our docs to a state where they have snippets
in both python and c++ for each class like Qt do
* API maintenance - over the years QGIS API has become quite messy and
often unintuitive (e.g. V2 classes)
* building a more comprehensive test suite
* hackfests

Just having a 'pot' of money against various different activities will help
us ensure that our funding is balanced and moves the project as a whole
forward, not just in one area. You will notice that feature development is
not on my list above - I believe that is the one thing that should not be a
focus for spending our money - rather as a project our funds should be
focussed on stabilising and improving our software.

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 11:51 AM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>
wrote:

> Il 14/01/2015 10:23, Andreas Neumann ha scritto:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I can understand the lack of information on our financial situation and
> > can promise to prepare an overview for the middle of next week. I am
> > busy with other work before that, sorry. I will probably be able to
> > deliver this financial summary more timely next year, once the process
> > is established.
>
> Thanks a lot Andreas for this. This is a long standing issue for us, and
> we're on the good way to have it solved.
> The main problem is about our hybrid structure, not having a legal
> entity. IMHO we should seriously consider proceeding as per Tim
> suggestions, establishing a foundation or something similar.
> More food for discussion, both at the PSC meeting and at the HF.
> All the best.
> --
> Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu

 * Desktop GIS programming services