[Qgis-psc] Fwd: [Qgis-developer] AequilibraE

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Thu Dec 22 01:36:47 PST 2016

Hi Anita,

On 12/21/2016 09:16 AM, Anita Graser wrote:

> http://anitagraser.com
>
> On Dec 21, 2016 7:07 AM, "Paolo Cavallini" <cavallini at faunalia.it
> <mailto:cavallini at faunalia.it>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>     should we take a decision on this?
>

> Could you summarize the issue. I haven't been reading along all the time.

The question is, if it should be possible to deploy binaries (normally
additional libraries) through our plugin servers as part of a plugin.
Everyone agrees that if it should be allowed, only under the condition
that the source code is present as well and properly licensed.

Contra:

 - We cannot verify if binary matches source
 - Hosting binaries feels wrong

Pro:

 - Plugin dev's life is easier (because sometimes using libs cannot be
   avoided)
 - We have a higher chance of keeping track of the plugins and closer
   contact to the developers
 - Less risk of having multiple plugin repositories out there
 - There is no additional protection for the user by not allowing this

Possible solutions are listed here:
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2016-December/046247.html

Best wishes
Matthias