[Qgis-psc] Advancing QGIS 3.0

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Wed Nov 2 10:30:45 PDT 2016

Hi Matthias,

Well - there should be two dev meetings each year - not just one.

Initiatives for local dev meetings are always welcome, though
personally, I would still prefer the combined meeting where most of the
core devs are around. Local meetings wouldn't deliver that.

I see the meetings more as an opportunity to discuss new features or
have a look at issues/problems. I don't think that much code is actually
created at the meetings. This is usually more efficient at home or in
the office, with fewer distractions.

My proposal is that the local QGIS user groups take care of such local
dev meeting events - and come up with sponsors/funding. I know that the
german FOSSGIS association meets once or twice at the Linux hotel and
projects are invited to join. The swiss QGIS user group could also help
organize/sponsor such meetings.

So do you really think it is a matter of funds or is it rather a problem
that someone has to start the initiative and do the organization?

I don't comment your idea on reaching version parity with Arc ;-) I
couldn't care less ...

Andreas