[Qgis-psc] Certification and contributions

Régis Haubourg regis.haubourg at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 00:39:12 PST 2018

Hi all,
I agree very much with that too. Any quality and long term contributer has
a lot more value than a only money. Because this will open the circle of
the contributers, spread the word to all the students, and the time going,
demultiplicate the active community part.

>your proposal makes sense to me. we have already discussed about similar
approaches, and we always stopped to the poit of deciding how much is
enough

About that, it is clear that trying to find a fixed threshold based on
quantitative measure in not feasible at all.
I agree with Vincent that evaluating a small report in a committee can be
the way. We could settle up a template like bellow. I imagine the following
content, with direct url to contribution list or statistics:

# Disclaimer to sum up the goals of the certification program

..some detailed info here...
- open the community to more contributors
- fund part of the project

# Describe your activities and team

# Describe how your are contributing to the QGIS project.

categories (please add links contributions proves)
- code: (ex: contribution activity page for github
https://github.com/haubourg)
- testing / issue handling: (ex with our tracker:
https://issues.qgis.org/projects/qgis/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&set_filter=1&f[]=status_id&op[status_id]=o&f[]=author_id&op[author_id]=%3D&v[author_id][]=989
)
- documentation : etc..
- translation:
- training material:
- project management / community life :
- Donation / support:
- Funded development :
- User support (mailing lists, stackexchange, local forum ...) :

# Describe others FOSS contributions (same pattern)

# Any feedback that could help in improving the process

---------------------

I think that should be a yearly process too. That would help in :

- measuring the success of that process
- avoid having life certificate to companies that either disappeared or
stopped contributing
- Improve the process each year

That could be done as a pear review process, which means that reviewers
need stay very  welcoming, objective, keep an independant point of view
with their own interests. etc.
I think QGIS community really has the right spirit for handling that
without being unfair, and still keeping the process with low administrative
burdain, either for the certification committee or for the certificated
folks.

I'll be glad to help in that area (since my c++ skills are really low :) )

Regards
Régis