[Qgis-psc] QGIS for Mac OS packaging and infrastructure

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Thu Feb 21 01:18:23 PST 2019

Hi all,

I know various people who use QGIS on mac. Some of them the reason to
use QGIS is because it runs on mac. I think we should it make as easy
and comfortable for them to use QGIS and from what I've heard packaging
has been a pain point in the past.

Some of the ones I know also support QGIS bugfixing and participate
actively in the QGIS community, so I think it also pays back to us. Even
if not directly through sponsoring packaging, but through generating a
sustainable ecosystem.

I would also argue, that the same counts from a company perspective, the
amount of advertising done by Lutra for this project certainly generated
a lot of visibility as a company, so even if the packaging itself isn't
completely paid, I think it is a very good move.

What I would ideally like to see is that we have packaging

 - completely whitelabeled on public infrastructure (qgis owned or even
better managed CI services)

 - having the scripts to generate packages in a repository (which will
make it possible for anyone to contribute package upgrades via pull
requests; especially for the numerous Python packages it's almost
impossible for a small number of maintainers with access to a packaging
machine to keep them up to date)

 - a mandate for a company to keep a defined number of packages up to
date (qt, python, gdal, sip, ...)

Sidenote/correction: I never created packages for macOS, the only thing
we did at OPENGIS.ch is to massively improve the UX for mac users by
fixing a lot of bugs (kudos to Denis) prior to QGIS 3.4.

Regards
Matthias