[Qgis-psc] Proposal: mailing list for voting members

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Thu Mar 7 00:48:55 PST 2019

Hi

> On 07 Mar 2019, at 10:42, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
>
> Hi Tim, all,
>
> On 06/03/19 16:36, Tim Sutton wrote:
>
>> 1) Signing up members to a list without their agreement is not good so
>> you need to make it a prerequisite of being a voting member that they
>> join the list and communicate it to all involved.
>
> We can send a first email, saying if they don't want to be in the ML
> they can remove themselves. Unclear to me, however, how one could
> participate to an assosiation refusing to use its decision tools.

Yeah - that is why I was suggesting to make it a prerequisite to be part of the mailing list, first informing them, removing voting members who do not agree, electing new ones in their place who do agree etc.

>> 2) The members come and go quite a bit so you will have some work to do
>> to keep the list current, removing non active members and adding new
>> recruits
>
> I propose to use the ML as central repo for the list. I find it easier
> to manage than a GDoc.

Ok there is also the web site where the names (but not emails) of members are listed which needs to be maintained.

https://www.qgis.org/en/site/forusers/usergroups.html#qgis-usergroups

>> 3) I find generally sending people a direct mail gets better
>> responsiveness than sending them something on a list, so be prepared for
>> potentially lower voting turnouts (or at least monitor it after you set
>> it up to make sure that people are still responsive).
>
> This could be an issue, but it IMHO less important than the risk of
> forgetting to send an email to one of the members. Having public
> archives is a biig advantage for transparency IMHO.

I don’t know if it should be public - you will be sending out links for voting forms on the list. Anyone watching the archives could then join in the vote unless you come up with a system to make sure the forms are only usable by registered members. Or if you send the voting forms direct from google forms (which is what I did) then you don’t need a ML but are back in the situation of needing to manage the list in a google doc or similar.

>> Other than those thoughts, +1 from me.
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu