[Qgis-psc] Migrating to free software

Marco Bernasocchi marco at qgis.org
Wed Apr 8 04:50:00 PDT 2020

Hi Tim, Hi Paolo,

I was writing a mail and than had to quickly leave, meanwhile Tim
expressed more or less my thoughts.

We voted on making a policy on adopting new tools as a FOSS first when a
*reasonable* solution is available we did not vote on moving to
nextcloud now.

As you told me yesterday, what I might see as practical might not be
practical for others, I guess I could quote you now.

We've agreed to move jitsi instead of google meet, not on changing
everything now. The vote on nextcloud had a 0 result even before Tim's
-1. and yet you start using what _you_ suggest being more practical.

Same goes for polls/ML as an alternative to loomio, we have a good
opensource solution that successfully worked last year [1], is AGPLv3
[2] and offers us a massive discount on their service (we pay
1$/user/year instead of per month [4]) and could even be self hosted [3]
and yet you write in the OSGEO-SAC ticket [5] that "we are planning to
use it".

With all respect, I think It is not about loomio/the tools it is, as I
mentioned earlier today in the website PR [6], about the discussions we
have as PSC and not only your opinion.

Ciao

Marco

[1] https://www.loomio.org/d/BO2LChvc/general-assembly-2019/8