[Qgis-psc] Migrating to free software

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Wed Apr 8 06:44:20 PDT 2020

Hi,

Yes, Jitsi was the only decision we finalized yesterday. Everything else
needs investigations.

And as Anita pointed out: let's not rush to Nextcloud yet and split up
our resources in several places without tests, migration plans and
assessment. To me, the collaborative simultaneous editing in documents
(e.g. the meeting minutes) is a crucial thing. Unless Nextcloud can
provide this, it is not an option for me to move to Nextcloud.

Greetings,

Andreas

Am 08.04.20 um 13:50 schrieb Marco Bernasocchi:

> [...]
> [3] and yet you write in the OSGEO-SAC ticket [5] that "we are
> planning to use it".
>
> With all respect, I think It is not about loomio/the tools it is, as I
> mentioned earlier today in the website PR [6], about the discussions
> we have as PSC and not only your opinion.
>
> Ciao
>
> Marco
>
> [1]https://www.loomio.org/d/BO2LChvc/general-assembly-2019/8
> [2]https://github.com/loomio/loomio/
> [3]https://help.loomio.org/en/dev_manual/
> [4]https://www.loomio.org/special_pricing
> [5]https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/2434
> [6]https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Website/pull/747
>
> On 08.04.20 12:46, Tim Sutton wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> It’s a pity I was not allowed to join the meeting yesterday, anyway,
>> I have added my votes in the meeting document. If I had been there, I
>> would have suggested changing the wording as per my comments below:
>>

>>  *
>>     Paolo suggests free software should be the first choice. We
>>     should choose proprietary alternatives only when it is proven
>>     that free software fails to provide a reasonable solution. The
>>     PSC should vote in case a proprietary solution is suggested.
>>         +1 Jürgen
>>         +1 Paolo
>>         +1 Andreas
>>         +1 Marco
>>         +1 Anita
>>         -1 Tim - Prefer that we vote on *any* solution (Proprietary
>>         or FOSS and choose it based on merrits rather than its license).
>>
>> Paolo I think you are jumping the gun writing stuff in NextCloud
>> below - we should approach things in an orderly and democratic fashion:
>>
>> 1 someone proposes a new platform e.g. next cloud for docs
>> 2 they propose a migration strategy for existing content that needs
>> to move to that platform
>> 3 they propose who will do the migration
>> 4 they propose what if any funding implications there are
>> 5 they propose a timeline for the migration
>> 6 they describe how the infrastructure is managed if it is self
>> hosted (e.g. do we have backups, who has admin, who fixes issues)
>> 7 we vote on it having been given reasonable time to consider the
>> above information and test out the alternative
>> 8 assuming we vote to agree with the proposal
>> 9 we then start using the new platform
>>
>> I don’t think it is fair or reasonable to just skip 1-8 and start on 9.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Tim
>>

>>> On 8 Apr 2020, at 08:50, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it
>>> <mailto:cavallini at faunalia.it>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> following the resolution of yesterday, I set up a shared dir in:
>>> https://nextcloud.osgeo.org/
>>> and I wrote a document on the proprietary software we currently use, and
>>> the possible alternatives.
>>> Comments are most welcome.
>>> Please note: there is a native free client for all major OSs, so this
>>> more
>>> QGIS.ORG Chair