[Qgis-psc] AGM: plugins vote

Marco Bernasocchi marco at qgis.org
Fri Apr 10 07:32:08 PDT 2020

Hi Paolo, Hi Saber

Speaking my opinion and not on behalf of the PSC

On 10.04.20 13:52, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Hi Sab
>
> Il 10/04/20 13:07, Saber Razmjooei ha scritto:
>
>> I found this whole discussion such a waste of breath!!
> +1
Sorry now this is really pushing it, Saber is elaborating a point and
you answer it with a +1? what is that supposed to mean? is it too much
to ask for to formulate? may I remember that the whole vote is _your_
child?
>> What is the issue to be addressed with the vote? What is QGIS.org trying
>> to solve?
Saber, to give some context it all started with the discussion about the
Windows only version of a QGIS 2.18x plugin. The community opinions
there were fairly divergent and Paolo's position very firm on not
wanting just suggestions but strict rules. From it the PSC ticket [3]
was born and discussion has been going on (and off) for a while trying
to get a sensible text to be voted on.
Unfortunately I've to agree with Vincent here that the text is not ready
to be voted on.

>> The whole situation can be solved by having some guidelines: if the
>> plugin submitter does not follow, the plugin will be rejected (similar
>> to CoC). There can also be some good practices (e.g. having a plugin
>> available in all OSes).
>> For the plugin review to ensure they adhere to the guidelines, QGIS.org
>> has already reviewers (volunteers). If the task is getting out of hand
>> and requires more volunteer time, I am sure there are others who can
>> help. You can also look into funding (some of) reviewers' times.
>>
>> There are some of the plugin submitters who have funded amazing features
>> in QGIS core. Their plugins might not be multiplatform (because it does
>> not need to be). Seeing those plugins banned from QGIS main repo is a
>> big shame and will discourage them from contributing to the main
>> application in future.
I absolutely think the same, we should tell people to make all efforts
to support all platforms where possible and we should do all possible to
help them understand why it is important.
>> On a separate but related note, the current vision of the PSC appears to
>> be turning to an ideology instead focusing on QGIS.

I see your concern, and I find that lately more than ever, Paolo's heavy
handed approach (see my previous, unanswered mail [2]) definitely gives
this impression.

I'm really disappointed to invest so much time for non central
discussions and impractical schemes that take the focus away from
helping QGIS and it's community thrive and keep up making "the most
amazing opensource GIS that will provide you value by being a great
software that will meet your needs by being cost effective and providing
great functionality and great usability whilst being actively supported
by a vibrant and knowledgeable community.”

> Cheers.

Cheers

Marco

[1]