[Qgis-psc] On using Nextcloud for editing documents

Marco Bernasocchi marco at qgis.org
Mon Apr 13 08:25:27 PDT 2020

Ha Andreas

On 12.04.20 10:39, Andreas Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tested editing the "environmental policy" draft on Nextcloud in
> order to get a better feeling about the usability. I think
> functionality wise it would probably ok for our needs, but the lagging
> is really, really disturbing and I agree with Tim that hurts
> productivity substantially.

We have a professionally hosted Nextcloud instance in Switzerland, when
we tested the collaborative in realtime with multiple people editing
together, we continuously hit issues like the one you mention and
decided not to use it as it was more frustrating than anything else.

We now ose nextclout for storing our file and have them syncronised
across the company (which works okisch) and use google docs for working
together on larger documents.

> I wonder what the reason is and if we could do something to improve it?
No idea, latency for sure does not help, when Denis was living in
Dominican Republic he could not work on our next cloud shared docs where
googl docs had no issues, that is when we started our current "workflow".

> As I understand it, all of the OSGEO servers are located in the US. I
> wonder if this is the reason for the annoying lags. As far as I know
> all major internet companies try to have their infrastructure as close
> as possible to their customers, when latency is an issue. When it
> comes to collaborative editing, keeping the latency and lagging as
> small as possible is important for the usability. Having our Nextcloud
> server based in the US when all of the PSC members are currently based
> in Europe doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
>
> I wonder if it would help to have a Nextcloud instance somewhere in
> Germany or Middle-Europe? But then again, someone would have to
> maintain a piece of infrastructure ... something we would like to avoid.
>
> I believe I saw a hosted Nextcloud service at Hetzner, an option we
> could rent, but not having to maintain it ourselves - but I can't find
> it. Maybe I was wrong or they retracted it?
>
> Maybe someone knows a good managed Nextcloud service in Europe that we
> could try if it makes any difference? Because in the current state I
> don't think I would be happy to use it for the QGIS.ORG PSC documents.

As stated above, we use https://eqipe.ch/nextcloud/ and are super happy
with their support and reactivity, but I'm still not in love with
Nextcloud and really hoped that the newest version (Nextcloud hub 18.0.2
which we run) would become our one tool. Sofar it is far from that :/

ciao

Marco