[Qgis-psc] Voting for grants

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Fri May 29 16:21:54 PDT 2020

On Sat, 30 May 2020 at 02:46, Saber Razmjooei
<saber.razmjooei at lutraconsulting.co.uk> wrote:

> Dear PSC,
>
> Are there any criteria in-place when voting for grants? I suggest to have a similar approach Marco recommended for handling votes for core members. Specifically, to keep the voting fair and unbiased, it will be good for members of the same organization to abstain from voting for their colleagues' proposal.
>
> Here [1] is the last year result and you can see if conflict of interest has been taken into account, the result would have been different (for better or worse!).

My view is that it's perfectly natural/acceptable for submitters to
vote for their own proposals. They obviously think they're worthwhile,
or wouldn't have submitted them :D

What gets tricky is the organisations where we have multiple voting
members submitting proposals. I do agree that there's a potential for
conflict of interest here and for unfair bias towards proposals
submitted by these larger organisations.

In general, I'd propose that we consider introducing (in the official
statutes) a limit of one-voting-member-per-organisation. This would
bring the community voting membership into line with the user group
membership, where user groups have one single voting member who
represents the group's view as a single vote. This would also limit
the potential for (god forbid) a "hostile takeover" situation, where a
coalition of organisations (commercial or user group) could dominate
voting. (I think it would be wise to apply the same one-member-per-org
limit to PSC/board membership too!).

Nyall