[Qgis-psc] Qt-for-Python

Andreas Neumann andreas at qgis.org
Mon Nov 22 03:21:22 PST 2021

Hi Denis,

I think it is a great idea. If this has relevance for packaging, we should
include Jürgen and Peter Petrik.

>From the budget point of view - am I right assuming that this is quite a
long-term project - perhaps there would be initial work in 2022, but the
bulk of the work would be happening alongside the switch to Qt6 and an
upcoming QGIS 4 - probably in 2023.

At least this is how I interpret the discussion at
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/237

Thanks,
Andreas

On Fri, 19 Nov 2021 at 13:56, Denis Rouzaud <denis.rouzaud at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear PSC,
>
> Following the report of the evaluation of Qt-for-Python for QGIS' Python
> bindings (see
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/237) and its
> conclusion, I would like to propose that a group of meaningful QGIS dev
> meet and discuss to make a decision (if possible with the current
> knowledge) regarding the adoption of Qt-for-Python and if the adoption is
> held propose a roadmap and a refined estimation of the work.
>
> This group would be composed of:
> Julien Cabieces
> Nyall Dawson
> Matthias Kuhn
> Alessandro Pasotti
> Denis Rouzaud
>
> Please let us know, if the approach (as detailed in the report) is OK with
> you and if we can move forward. The composition is of course flexible and
> if you think someone should join, let us know too.
>
> Kind regards and thank you,
>
> Denis

Andreas Neumann
QGIS.ORG board member (treasurer)