[Qgis-psc] First sample outputs of telemtry work

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Tue May 10 16:39:40 PDT 2022

Hi Jonathan

Thanks for your email, see comments below:

On Tue, May 10, 2022 at 9:05 PM Jonathan Moules <
jonathan-lists at lightpear.com> wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> This looks good; I love a good dashboard. Some thoughts & bugs:
>
> * Do we have telemetry for QGIS Server?

No - I don't think we will add this.....or at least I don't have any
current plans.

> * The numbers on "*QGIS Open events on Windows per day - last yea**r*"
> seem far too low. "*QGIS Daily Opens - last 30 days*" is showing half a
> million users a day but for windows is just ~50k a day, this despite
> windows clearly being 90+% of users per the platform chart (well, one of
> those platform charts...).

Only QGIS >= 3.24 reports the platform. This figure will self correct as
more people move to more recent builds.

> * Alternately, the pie-chart next to it: "*QGIS Daily Opens by Platform -
> last 30 days*" is showing 86% as being "other" platforms where "others"
> on the chart to the left of it for what appears to be trying to show the
> same thing is only a tiny percentage (< 6%?).

Again this is explained by the lack of platform reporting in QGIS > 3.24
(see the little info popups on each chart).

> * "*QGIS Daily Opens by Version - last 30 days*" - is showing some of the
> version numbers as integers and some as floats.

Yes I haven't figured this out yet....it could be bogus User Agents, custom
builds of QGIS.....something else?

> * "*QGIS Top Movers - Yesterday*" - If I sum these up I get about
> 100,000. Given the total number of users yesterday per the day-chart was
> only about 25k higher than a Monday average, I get the feeling this is
> averaging across all-time, meaning weekends will always show a low number
> and weekdays will always show a high number (as today). I'd suggest it
> should probably use the average for that-day, so it's comparing
> like-for-like.

Yeah this is a bit of an experiment. It compares the amount of opens
yesterday to the average daily opens across all time. I don't know how
informative it is, in future I may just remove it.

> * "*QGIS Total Number of Opens in this Current Month*" at the top is
> wrong - it's identical to "last 30 days" to its left. Also the very bottom
> shows the number should be 3.5 million not 10 million.

Thanks, fixed now.

> * "*QGIS Total Number of Opens in this Current Month*" at the top says
> 499,262, but the graph (*QGIS Daily Opens - last 30 days*) shows 500,359
> for yesterday if I mouse over it.

I'm not sure why they are different - will need to poke around some more.

> Assuming it's SQL behind the scenes, I may be able to take a stab at it if
> you want.

Yes I would welcome your help. I will send you some credentials, but please
tray to avoid running any queries that place a high load on the server.