[Qgis-tr] Typos and inconsistencies in source text

Mats Elfström mats.elfstrom at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 04:38:53 PST 2016

Hi Sveinn!
I agree wholeheartedly. I am also afraid that the localized versions suffer
the same kind of inconsistensies.The reason for this is of course that each
independent author writes as he/she is used to, especially with regard to
the en_GB or en_US choice.
I think what we need is a combined QGIS dictionary/thesaurus which could
serve a a master source on how to spell and write common words and terms.
And, taken one step further, this dictionary could be augmented with those
terms in all of QGIS' languages. This would be an invaluable asset for all
beginner translators.

Regards, Mats.E (beginner Swedish translator)

> Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on
> https://www.transifex.com/qgis/
>
> Hi,
>
> I've been noting down some of the errors my spellcheckers throw at me
> during translation work on QGIS.
> (I use several gettext-based applications to beef up productivity, so I do
> convert the .ts with 'lupdate' back and forth. This allows me to use better
> spellchecking systems, both on source and translated strings.)
>
> I think most of them should be corrected, and some may need some
> discussion. I'm only halfway through the source .ts file, and please bear
> with me the nitpicking ;-)
>
> There are several spelling variants of some words. No one of those is
> "right" - but consistency is more "professional", n'est-ce pas?
>
> Quote: "Neighbor is preferred in American English, and neighbour is
> preferred in all the other main varieties of English. The words are the
> same in every other respect."
> The same is valid for "flavor/flavour".
> The source is supposed to be in en_US, right? Or is en_GB more of a
> convention in GIS?
>
> We have both "Catalog/Catalogue" and "Favorite/Favourite" -
> "Favorites/Favourites" in various places.
>
> There are lots of places where we have different verions of the same words:
>
> For "checkbox" we have also "Check Box" and "check-box".
>
> We have 8 occurrences of "cell size" and about 20 of "cellsize". BTW; the
> latter gives an error in various spell-checkers.
>
> Similar situation is with "no-data" vs. "nodata", "multi-part/multipart",
> "single-part/singlepart", "auto-detect/autodetect" "data source/datasource".
>
> There's also "Heightbreak/Height break" once each in the QGIS-source; but
> I see more often "height-break" and "height break" in various documentation
> on the web.
>
> There are still some occurences of 'Ctl' instead of 'Ctrl' for the
> Control-key. For example:
> "Pin/Unpin Labels And Diagrams\n
> Click or marquee on label/diagram to pin\n
> Shift unpins, Ctl (Cmd) toggles state\n
> Acts on all editable layers"
>

> Spelling errors/doubts:
>
> "Select a table for editation" --> 'editing' or 'to edit'
>
> "Cannot convert "%s" to unicode" --> Strictly it should have capitalized
> 'Unicode'.
>
> "Mitre limit" --> "Miter limit" is more common US-English I think.
>
> "Select the file to analyse" --> There are many occurences of "rasterize",
> "polygonize" etc. so this should have "analyze". Same should be valid for
> the string "Colorise" --> "Colorize, "synchronisation/synchronization"
> and "customisation/customization""
>
> "Model processed ok." --> For consistency's sake it should be "OK". Same
> for "If you click Ok, edit mode will automatically be turned on.".
>
> "Recent algs" --> There really isn't enough space for "Recent algorithms"?
>
> "Click the icon to bring up the project properties dialog to alter this
> behaviour." and "Change empty table behaviour" --> "behavior".

> [...]

Mats Elfström, Väpplingvägen 21, SE-227 38 LUND, Sweden
tel: +46 46 145959 / mob: +46 70 595 39 35
alt e-mail: mats.elfstrom at giskraft.com <mats.elfstrom at telia.com>