[Qgis-tr] Suggestions available

DelazJ delazj at gmail.com
Mon May 9 02:16:57 PDT 2022

Hi Stefano, Alexandre

Strings of the "zzz..." projects are available for the Desktop project
because some time ago, Alexandre (I assumed he did because of [0]) put the
projects altogether in what transifex calls a memory group [1]: they do
share translations each other as suggestions.
However, by the time we created the project for 3.22 documentation, that
feature had become a paid one (ref the docs linked above), so that project
is somehow isolated from the others. If you browse the QGIS Documentation
project, you will notice that it provides suggestions from itself only.
None of the other projects is connected to it, so you can't use
translations you made in Desktop (or Website - though I'm not sure this one
is connected) project.

I'm still convinced that we should:
1. just drop the zzz projects (at least for 3.4 and 3.10). I'm honestly not
convinced they are useful to anything today.
2. reactivate the zzz 3.16 project, fill it with 3.22 strings (source and
translations) and rename it into QGIS Documentation. Would that fix
Stefano's request ? I can't tell without testing because Transifex is a
closed source project, but if we assume that what are referenced in the
memory group foreign key is projects ID and not the strings or files of a
named project, then reusing that project should work IMHO
3. Kill the current "QGIS Documentation" as its contents are moved to point
2. --> That would mean we have a single project for documentation also
(along with Website and Desktop), clearer for everyone
4. Next time we release a docs project (3.28), we push strings in the "QGIS
Documentation" project directly instead of creating a new project. Why did
we not do it the last time? Because the previous experience using automated
pull/push of Transifex<->github connection has been laborious and I was
afraid I'd break something. The process is now "well" documented [2] with
ways to recover if any problem.
5. If you are really really afraid that something breaks in 2/3, the
resurrection and testing can be done in the zzz 3.4 project instead of zzz
3.16...

[0]
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-community-team/2022-March/006039.html
[1] https://docs.transifex.com/translation-memory/sharing-tm