[Qgis-user] GPS Plugin - QGIS 0.11- Mac OSX.5.4

Mars Sjoden amagine at telus.net
Wed Aug 13 13:34:14 PDT 2008

On 13-Aug-08, at 12:07 PM, John C. Tull wrote:

> On Aug 13, 2008, at 11:01 AM, Mars Sjoden wrote:
>
>> Thanks John,
>>
>> On 13-Aug-08, at 10:16 AM, John C. Tull wrote:
>>
>>> Mars,
>>>
>>> Device discovery has never worked on OS X in qgis, to my
>>> knowledge. My waypoint download line looks like this, but I use a
>>> usb to serial adapter:
>>>
>>> %babel -w -i garmin -o gpx -f /dev/cu.usbserial-ftCASM51 -F %out
>>>
>>> You need to find the full device id either by looking at items
>>> listed under /dev in the Terminal, or by using something like
>>> gpsbabel+ to help you id the proper device string. You can set up
>>> a transfer and see the full command in the log window after you
>>> run it in gpsbabel+.
>>>

>> 	This is essentially what I did,  ran a wpt download and placed
>> command into the WPT field of QGIS gps plugin device editor.
>> 	I do not understand since I thought QGIS just passed the command
>> to gpsbabel and placed the gpx file as a layer.
>> 	Using gpsbabel from command line works fine.
>>

> Here was the string you provided:
>
> gpsbabel -w -i garmin -f usb: -o gpx %out
>
> I must assume that running from the Terminal:
> gpsbabel -w -i garmin -f usb: -o gpx outfile.gpx
> works? Otherwise, the device string is likely not correct. I don't
> know enough about usb as I have an older unit with serial.
>
> John

Hello John,

Yes that is correct.

Actually I have only included one of the many strings I tried from
within QGIS device editor.

I have included the entire full string also:

/Users/myhomeaccount/homelocal/bin/gpsbabel -w -i garmin -f usb: -o
gpx -F /Users/myhomeaccount/Desktop/gpsbabel_output.gpx

I have tried pretty much every combo I could think of.
Of course no problems downloading from the terminal and uploading to
gps from the terminal also.

curious curious.

Perhaps there is a problem with adding to qgis the gpx layer?

My programing prowess is lacking for any deeper investigation.

thanks,

mars