[Qgis-user] Postgis, Qgis, uDig?

Dane Springmeyer blake at hailmail.net
Thu Aug 14 20:02:44 PDT 2008

I like both QGIS and uDig.

I am constantly needing a quick map view of postgis spatial tables and
I tend to use Qgis much more often for one primary reason: it loads
faster with a nice blank map and the number of buttons to press to get
your postgres data up on the map canvas from scratch are fewer than
udig.

However, I think uDig excels at working with postgis data in several
ways:

1) uDig does not depend upon a field named oid or a specific unique id
field with a constraint. I'm not sure what shortcut uDig uses here but
if you are just trying to view your postgis data, getting it to load
up in Qgis due to this restriction can be troublesome at first.

2) uDig has a nice 'Catalog' window that allows you to easily refresh
and reload you connection to postgres tables without having to step
through multiple pop-up windows. In fact you can drag and drop postgis
layers into your map view.

Cheers,

Dane