[Qgis-user] add a gml layer

Tara Athan tara_athan at alt2is.com
Fri Jun 20 09:11:06 PDT 2008

I am attempting to add a gml layer to the QGIS dataset that will be used
in the next release of the QGIS manual (v 1.0).
I took the lakes.shp shapefile from the existing dataset and used ArcMap
to convert to gml (sorry, I couldn't figure out any other way.)
The resulting layer loads into ArcMap OK, although it complains about
the spatial reference, but when I try to load it into QGIS

(Click Layer -> Add Vector Layer, then select the file and the type
[OGR] Geography Markup Language (*.gml) )

I get the error

... is not a valid or recognized data source

The file is available here:

http://www.alt2is.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=4&Itemid=42

I don't know if the problem is with the file, the software or the
procedure. If anyone has or knows how to create GML files that work with
QGIS, I am willing to use that, as long as it is in Alaska, as that is
the region of our dataset.

Thanks, Tara

--
Tara Athan
Principal, Alternatives to Invasive Species