[Qgis-user] recompiling gdal: problems with QGIS?

Craig Leat craig.leat at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 03:04:53 PDT 2008

Hi Agustin

Agustin wrote:
> Therefore, I understand I should not try to make the current QGIS I have
> work with a new compiled gdal.

Yes. gdal is a dependency, so if you change it you need to recompile
everything that depends on it.

> BUt could I have a second version of gdal
> which I would use for converting ECW and MrSid files to formats that
> QGIS can accept?

Yes you can have multiple versions of gdal, just head my earlier
warning if you ever decide to build qgis. You could try the FWTools
[1] binary as this offers the formats [2] you need.

Craig

[1] http://fwtools.maptools.org/
[2] $ ./gdalinfo --version
GDAL 1.5dev, FWTools 2.0.0, released 2007/11/12
$ ./gdalinfo --formats | grep -i "ecw"
  ECW (rw): ERMapper Compressed Wavelets
  JP2ECW (rw+): ERMapper JPEG2000
$ ./gdalinfo --formats | grep -i "mrsid"
  MrSID (ro): Multi-resolution Seamless Image Database (MrSID)