[Qgis-user] Editing: advanced vs. basic, dropdown menus

Luigi Castro Cardeles luigi.cardeles at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 00:46:37 PDT 2009

Hi list,
my two cents,

i use AutoCAD for a long time and his tools are grouped in "draw" and
"modify" tool bar.
"Draw" tool bar has all commands to create geometries (points, lines,
polygon etc).
"Modify" tool bar has all commands to modify geometries (explode, mirror,
break, move vertice, move geometry, copy, etc).

This is different from qgis approach (at one tool bar we have create and
modify tools).

I really prefer AutoCAD approach (create tools in one tool bar and modify
tools in another tool bar).

But the real gap is the possibility to use command line options on AutoCAD -
there is a prompt where you type the command and interact via keyboard. For
example, to draw a line, you type "line" and press enter key and you are
drawing a line (you can type the x,y,z coordinates or you can click on the
point).
If that functionality are implemented at QGIS this would be more relevant
than the discussion if you need one toolbar with drop down or two tool bars,
in my opinion.

I can provide screenshots (about the AutoCAD tool bars) if that is
necessary.

best regards,
Luigi Castro Cardeles