[Qgis-user] Re: Newbie question - gml files

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 00:12:22 PST 2011

Hi,

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 10:09 PM, Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) <tmitchell at osgeo.org
> wrote:

> Have you tried installing ms4w or fwtools and using the ogr2ogr command
> line
> tool to convert?

nope, not yet.   Do these run automatically in the background?
and are these installed in QGIS 1.6?    If not, then perhaps they can be
added for the 1.7 version?

>  Lots of examples in my book (if you have it),

Where do i download your book?

> otherwise
> something like this:
>
> mkdir shp
> ogr2ogr shp NL_BS/NL_BS.gml
> --- converts from gml into shapefile format in a folder called shp.
>  ogr2ogr
> converts by default into shapefile.

Thanks,  but i get this error
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/a3GY5f8JWbcEVI25ICM2MQ?feat=directlink

then staying in the same directory, i get this error
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/AY_DLof5Y4Fd4chwR4DOEA?feat=directlink

> This seemed to work for me!  Ran for a minute, gave a few errors about
> geometry type "Surface", but otherwise looks okay I think.  I'm not that
> familiar with the data.
>
> Not sure, but I'd bet that ogr2ogr is distributed with QGIS on Windows...

I bet it is too .... yet it does not work and change the projection of the
data. :)

> Hope it helps,
> Tyler

Thanks anyway, i'll try installing these programs and assume they work in
the background automatically.

cheers.
sam