[Qgis-user] Re: Newbie question - gml files

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 21:33:06 PST 2011

Thanks :)
I now know those points.

I'm happy to see that it's a defincey in the working of ogr2ogr and
does not account for the switched coordinates.

I contacted NRCan about it, and just waiting to hear back.

Apparently, everyone who said that it 'looked ok' was thinking that
the data is supposed to be skewed to antartica :-)

No worries, I'll ask the geo-geeks on thursday maybe someone actually
works with these same .gml files in real life?

Thanks,
Sam

On 1/4/11, Noli Sicad <nsicad at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Sam,
>
> Tips in installing QGIS.
>
> 1. You can not use OSGeo4W installer without an internet connection.
> 2. Use the standalone installer if you don't have internet connection.
> 3. Install it C: drive
> 4. Use the stable version (e.g. QGIS 1.6) and standalone for first user.
>
> Noli
>

> On 1/5/11, Sam Vekemans <acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com> wrote:
>> P.S.
>> I just uploaded that raw .shp files that was converted for me to
>> koordinates.com and it still showed the wrong projection . :(
>> http://koordinates.com/layer/2036-en-1120009-1/#@z=4&c=-58.49101%2C50.75684&e=&l=2036&mt=PHYSICAL
>>
>> Would anyone be able to load a sample .shp file from canvec like this one
>> http://ftp2.cits.rncan.gc.ca/pub/canvec/50k_shp/001/k/canvec_001k14_shp.zip
>> and show a screen view that the .gml / new shp file shows up in the right
>> area?
>> or when people said "it shows up fine"  that meant that they were able to
>> see it squed over the tip of antartica, just fine  (thinking that it's how
>> it's supposed to look)?
>> I'll ask NRCan to very this.
>>
>> Thanks again,
>> Sam
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 5:29 AM, Sam Vekemans
>> <acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> That attached file (shp file) still shows up in the wrong projection.
>>> I'll be bold and ask, if anyone wants to, they can upload it to
>>> koordinates.com and make it public.  (that's what im doing with it).  The
>>> website 'should' automatically detect it's projection and upload it
>>> correctly.   (it should cover all of the province of Newfoundland and
>>> labrador, Canada)
>>>
>>> Interesting, the Complete Install of OSGeo4W does download the latest
>>> Qgis
>>> 1.7 version ... but gives me the same error.
>>> http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/DYCGWnClDihw1A4ZhKiqng?feat=directlink
>>>
>>> I selected to install Everything.
>>> It appears that within the qgis appication there is the option under
>>> plugins to Add the plugin of
>>> ogr and gdal tools.   ... unfortunatly it's on the PC version were i dont
>>> have internet :(
>>>
>>> So i try version
>>> QGIS-OSGeo4W-1.5.0-14307-Setup  and got the same error
>>> and

--
Twitter: @Acrosscanada
Blogs: http://acrosscanadatrails.posterous.com/