[Qgis-user] Missing primary key.

Byron Como bcomo at cox.net
Sat Jan 8 14:06:20 PST 2011

On 1/8/2011 3:15 PM, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:
> [please keep the thread on the list.  And if you want to do me a favor, use
> plain text and reply inline]
>
> Hi Byron,
>
> On Sat, 08. Jan 2011 at 11:30:22 -0600, Byron Como wrote:
>> On 1/8/2011 11:19 AM, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:
>>>   Maybe you had oids before?
>> Nope, only the geometry table uses oids. The data tables all have gid,
>> ineger, as the primary key. In pgadmin the data can be manipulated normally -
>> copied, pasted, deleted and all the columns are correct.
> So you have oids on the geometry table you try to insert, but QGIS is still
> complaining?
That is correct.

>> The data was created on Windows Xp, Postgresql 8.4, Quantum GIS 1.5.  Several
>> times the data had to be restored to the Windows XP setup for various reasons
>> including a lightning strike. The restore process worked correctly each time.
>> The current broken setup is on a Windows 7 box, Postgresql 8.4, PostGIS 1.4,
>> and Quantum GIS 1.5 and 1.6 have been tried.
> On Sat, 08. Jan 2011 at 14:37:27 -0600, Byron Como wrote:
>> On 1/8/2011 2:29 PM, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:
>>> The python included in the standalone installer should work.  Are you
>>> trying to make it use your python 2.7 installation?  If so, that might
>>> cause the problem.
I deleted the 2.7 installation and installed 2.5 (see below).
>> Ah, here's where the whole episode gets murky. The error message occurred
>> after installing using the 'simplified' installer - before I installed any
>> extra python software. I decided to install the extra python and psycopg2
>> packages after failing to find any good suggestions on resolving the
>> problem searching Google. Your feed back is helpful. Now I know I don't
>> need the extra python packages. Then is the problem an evironment variable
>> setting?
>
> Do you have PostgreSQL installed locally?  Were PostgreSQL directories added to
> the PATH or installed in %WINDIR%\system32.  That might interfere.
PostgreSQL is in c:\program files (x86)

My path statement is:
PATH=C:\OSGeo4W\bin;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;
C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\OSGeo4W\apps\msys\bin

> Try "import psycopg2" in the python console (or a python started from the
> OSGeo4W shell).  It's output might shed some light on the problem.
 >>> import psycopg2
 >>> psycopg2
<module 'psycopg2' from
'C:\OSGeo4W\apps\Python25\lib\site-packages\psycopg2\__init__.pyc'>

> Maybe it's not just a python problem and is somehow related to the primary key
> problem.
>

> Jürgen

I installed Qgis 1.5 using the 'simplified' installer.
Got a strange 'can't find the psycopg2' file from PostGis Manager.
To fix THAT error I did:

Installed Python 2.5.4
Installed psycop2.2.2w32
Copied the resulting psycop2 directory into the
C:\Program Files (x86)\Quantum GIS
Tethys\apps\Python25\Lib\site-packages\psycopg2

...and the error message went away.

The missing primary key is occurring in v1.5 and 1.6 using the
simplified install and the 1.6 OSGeo4W install.

All this to try and use Quantum GIS on Windows 7 64 bit.