[Qgis-user] install qgis server on RHEL?

Volker Fröhlich volker27 at gmx.at
Wed Jul 20 06:08:20 PDT 2011

Dear Richard,

yes, my approach is more difficult -- especially if you are new to RPM. So let's
explain it for reference! I don't expect that to be complete anyhow:

Ad sources: Yes, you can just do a pull and then export a tarball like this:

git archive --format=tar --prefix=qgis-1.8.0/ HEAD | bzip2 >qgis-1.8.0.tar.bz2

If you modify the specfiles version, it will point to that tarball and use it.
You might also have to alter build options and the file lists.

Having a proper directory tree, you need to do the something like this:

$ rpmbuild -bs qgis.spec
$ mock --rebuild -r epel-6-x86_64 qgis-1.8.0-1.el6.src.rpm

And that will give you RPM packages.

You might want to change the release or version number somehow, so you can
always simply update and not uninstall and install the packages.

Ad writing instructions: We can throw something together, if you want. I think
we could use the wiki.

Volker