[Qgis-user] projection delema

Chuck Young wylie1066 at gmail.com
Tue May 24 12:16:19 PDT 2011

I have a question related to the projection:

I have started with a layer set to the above projection.  Its metadata shows
that it is set to the NAD83 / UTM 12 projection by displaying the same
details "+proj=utm +zone=12 +ellps=GRS80 +datum=NAD83 +units=m +no_defs" .
I have created a new vector layer using the same projection and digitized
the vector layer data over the current layer.  Then checked to be sure the
new layer did in face assume the correct projection.

After this I have loaded the new layer over a layer that was created earlier
in the same projection, digitized over the same base layer and showing the
same metadata, and they don't match up.  When I load the two together then
do the zoom extents the map goes to extreme separation of the two layers.

I have tried to re-project one layer but as they are on the same projection
already they don't change.

Why can the files become so different when they are all digitized over the
same base layer at the same projection?

Chuck