[Qgis-user] value tool plugin in 2 repos

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Sun Jan 29 09:59:38 PST 2012

On 01/29/2012 05:58 PM, Agustin Lobo wrote:
> Why are there some plugins (i.e. Value Tool) in 2 repos?
> http://pyqgis.org/repo/contributed (pointing to
> http://pyqgis.org/contributed/valuetool.zip)
> http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/plugins.xml (pointing to
> http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/valuetool/version/0.3.4/download/)
>
> Also, which is the rule by which a given plugin (I.e., Value Tool)
> becomes official?

Hi Agus,

the pyqgis.org repository is the 'old official repo', used by older
version of QGIS.
the plugins.qgis.org is the 'new official repo', which is the default
repo in current master (and 1.8 ?).
You can even add th 'new repo' as a repo in older QGIS version, and the
two will then just be merged, giving you just the newest version of a
given plugin from both official repo's.

We could not get in touch anymore with the original Valuetool plugin
author, so I adopted and added On The Fly projection in the last version
0.3.4. It is uploaded to both repo's, so if all went correct both repo's
would give you the exact same latest  version: 0.3.4

Your question about by which rule a given plugin becomes 'offical'
depends on your definition of 'official'. If you mean 'make it to become
a so called 'core-plugin' which is into a default QGIS installation'.
Then there has to be some consenscus between the QGIS devs about the
quality of the plugin and the value of it for QGIS.
Or hardcore users must make a proposal for it, I think...

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde