[Qgis-user] QGIS - Mapinfo question

Alister Hood Alister.Hood at synergine.com
Thu Jun 28 02:59:26 PDT 2012

The other main problem is that no, QGIS can't understand a .tab file for a raster, although you could write a script to convert .tab to .jgw (and vice versa).
Going the other direction, I'm not sure if Mapinfo can currently understand a world file, but it certainly looks like it couldn't in the past (Maybe your friend could see if the Mapbasic code at http://free-zg.t-com.hr/gorantt/geo/tfw2tab.htm works though...)
I presume it isn't an option to use an image format with embedding georeferencing information (e.g. you could use a geotiff with jpeg compression)?

Alister