[Qgis-user] Re: Annoying CRS-Problem with EPSG 31468 / 2167: Conclusions?

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Thu Mar 22 08:05:00 PDT 2012

So, the problem was now described thoroughly, but what are the conclusions
now?

I'm going to spread QGIS in my region in the next months, and it's quite
hard to explain to the people, who to 99% work with EPSG 31468-data, that
they can't ever rely on any data they produce and that they have to
double-check each layer after creation for the right CRS, even if they set
it correctly in each setting available?!?

I'm not too familiar with all those packages involved handling the CRSs,
so can someone please point me the way who to address with this problem?

For novice QGIS-users, this "bug" is a real exclusion criterion for QGIS
for they will only create crap with it!

Again my findings:
Options settings: new layers and projects are created with EPSG 31468,
promting for CRS ist set.

- EPSG 31468-Layers with a prj-file from ArcGIS get loaded as 2167 without
promting for the CRS
- EPSG 31468-Layers loaded into a EPSG 31468-Region in GRASS are handed
back to QGIS as ... 2167
- New Layers created in some plugins (like some ftools-plugins), added to
the TOC, are in ... 2167 .. or even 3397

What can i do? (And i really wonder what all those other german users do
and why the don't complain...)

Thanx for advice
Bernd

(QGIS 1.7.4, osgeo4w advanced install, Win7 64bit)