[Qgis-user] Re: Unusual application of QGIS

Gerhardus Geldenhuis gerhardus.geldenhuis at gmail.com
Wed May 9 00:43:24 PDT 2012

Thanks,
I will have a look at ImageJ. The problem is not just the stitching
together though.

The attractions of QGIS is the following:
* Ability to easily browse between content, I can thus have multiple
microscope layers. It thus becomes a tool for exploration and measuring.
* Existing ecosystem that can be easily extended and possible unintended
uses of existing plugins.

I need to point counting sometimes to get statistics on the number of
minerals in a slide. Doing this on a big screen rather than through a
microscope with a small field of view could be much better.

I have lots of ideas for this and think it can work really well. I will
keep the list informed when I start working on this in earnest.

Regards

On 9 May 2012 08:15, Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com> wrote:

> You should also consider ImageJ which is somewhat standard in the
> MicroBio world for this kind of stuff. It has all sorts of cool
> auto-stiching and referencing plugins for your type of work. You also
> wouldn't have to worry about projections then.
>
> Of course as people have pointed out GIS can be used for your use case,
> and I have indeed stiched paper scans of images (non-earth related) to
> each other in a local coordinate system.
>
> Enjoy,
> Alex
>
> --
Gerhardus Geldenhuis