[Qgis-user] QGIS Server on CentOS 6

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Sun Feb 3 03:10:14 PST 2013

Hi,

Can you tell us what documentation you worked with? At what steps do you
have problems? What is working what is not? The problem of the
documentation is that every OS puts Apache files in other paths. The
other thing is that you can put your file everwhere you want as long as
you configure Apache correctly. So it is impossible to document the
process for all systems. But we can certainly improve the documentation.

Is QGIS server working at all? Did you test running QGIS server and use
QGIS desktop as a client?

It is usually a several step process to set up:

1. install of the fcgi binaries (or compile from source)
2. Install Apache
3. configure apache for using mod_fcgi
4. test QGIS server manually (GetCapbilities, GetMap, GetFeatureInfo)
5. test QGIS server with QGIS Destkop as a client
6. install the necessary files of QGIS web client
7. Copy GlobalOptions.js file from one of the templates
8. Edit GlobalOptions.js - e.g. set the path to your fcgi, decide
whether to use GetCapabilities (older QGIS server, e.g. QGIS 1.8) or
GetProjectSettings (newer QGIS server, current master)

If anything fails you can fire up the developer tools in Google Chrome
or Firebug - have a look at the network requests where the client calls
the fcgi file. Copy that URL and see if it works or why not (e.g. wrong
paths).

Hope this helps a bit,
Andreas