[Qgis-user] Crash: merge shapefiles

Giovanni Manghi giovanni.manghi at faunalia.pt
Fri Jul 5 14:25:36 PDT 2013

Hi,

> As I've got loads of shapefiles, to define the .prj for each is not
> realistic (Vector>DataManagement Tools>Define Current Projection).  I've
> looked for a bulk process to create these but without luck
>
> Do I need prj files & if so, how can I create a load of them?

in QGIS master you can use SEXTANTE to batch process files, so you can
use the "reproject layer" tool, and get a copy of your shapes with a
proper .prj

Then to merge the shapes you can use QGIS, but I agree that is very
(very) slow for large shapes or large number of shapes.

The faster tool/code I tested is

http://gistncase.blogspot.pt/2012/05/python-shapefile-merger-utility.html

and it would be very nice to use it to replace the actual python code
of the merge shapefiles qgis tool, see

http://hub.qgis.org/issues/7208

cheers

-- Giovanni --