[Qgis-user] problems with dbf encoding in Chugiak

gvSIGMac gvsig.mac at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 04:09:14 PDT 2014

Thanks,
It's good in both Spanish and Catalonian.
See below
________________________________
Agustin

Am 01/08/2014 um 19:39 schrieb Borys Jurgiel <lists at borysjurgiel.pl>:

> For me it looks good, but I don't speak Spanish so please take a look at the
> screen shot and confirm: http://tmp.borysjurgiel.pl/cp1252.png
>
> Also please note the "Ignore shapefile encoding" checkbox in QGIS settings.
That was it.

> If it's enabled, you can (and you need to) select the proper encoding when
> opening the layer. You can also change it in layer properties. As the declared
> encoding is ignored, changes made by Shapefile Encoding Fixer don't take any
> effect.
Maybe this is a bit confusing that you have the ability to fix the encoding but a setting is ignoring the fix. Some kind of warning in the Shapefile Encoding Fixer will help.

> If the checkbox is disabled, the autodetection is active, so you can't
> manually select encoding (if I remember correctly, the list in the "open
> layer" window is ignored, the one in layer properties is disabled). Instead,
> you can use the Shapefile Encoding Fixer to control the encoding declaration.
>
> So in short, they are two opposite modes.
>
> Best regards,
> Borys
>

> Dnia piÄ…tek, 1 sierpnia 2014 08:55:40 William Kyngesburye pisze:
>> I've also noticed problems with shapefile encodings, though it seemed
>> random.  Maybe it's just a general problem of QGIS ignoring the cpg file.
>> To work around it, set the encoding in the layer properties after adding it
>> to QGIS.
>> On Aug 1, 2014, at 3:29 AM, Agustin Diez-Castillo <gvsig.mac at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I'm having problems to see the correct encoding of this file [1]. To the
>>> best of my understanding the original encoding is 1252 and this works in
>>> LibreOffice or other gis programs, however trying to read it in Qgis
>>> gives always the wrong result (spanish characters missed). I've try the
>>> fix dbf encoder plugin adding the cpg file but with no success. I'm on
>>> mac running Kyngchaos version.
>>> Can somebody test the attached file and see what's going on?
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> [1] https://www.dropbox.com/s/zeh5vdx8b2g1lxb/BCN200_0301L_RIO.zip
>>>
>>> QGIS version2.4.0-ChugiakQGIS code revisionCompiled against Qt4.8.6Running
>>> against Qt4.8.6Compiled against GDAL/OGR1.11.0Running against
>>> GDAL/OGR1.11.0Compiled against GEOS3.4.2-CAPI-1.8.2Running against
>>> GEOS3.4.2-CAPI-1.8.2 r3921PostgreSQL Client Version9.3.4SpatiaLite
>>> Version4.1.1QWT Version6.0.2PROJ.4 Version480QScintilla2 Version2.8.1