[Qgis-user] Question regarding point to grid analysis

Mark Coletti mcoletti at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 11:35:51 PDT 2014

I have two sets of vaguely coincident point data that I'd like to compare.
 Each point has a corresponding measure, and I'd like to assess the spatial
similarity between these two sets of measurements.  My approach would be to
convert these values into grid data and then use techniques for comparing
the similarity of matrices.

Since I'm new to using qgis in an analytical fashion I'm uncertain of the
best way of implementing this scheme.  For one thing, there appear to be a
number of different means of converting point data into
grids/matrices/raster data -- e.g., heatmaps or grid interpolation-- and I
have the additional constraints of ensuring that the corresponding MBRs and
grid cell sizes are identical for fair comparison.

What would be the best way to do this in qgis?  (And, alas, I'm not
entirely sure by what I mean by "best".  Easiest to do?  Less error prone?)

Cheers!

Mark
mcoletti at gmail.com