[Qgis-user] Wrong area with OTF activated

Carlos Cerdán sig.upagu at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 06:12:15 PDT 2014

Hi Gino

Thank you for your interest. I was working in CRS WGS 84 / UTM 17s (EPSG =
32717) and destination was same. I also had some layers in lat/long CRS
(EPSG 4326), moreover, in QGIS settings ---> CRS options, it was activated
"Habilitar la reproyección al vuelo si las capas tienen un CRS diferente"
(Activate on the fly reprojection if layers have different CRS?), so it was
activated automatically even if I deactivate this option for the project...
and QGIS calculates wrong area for my UTM polygons.

Then, I suggest that when we have to calculate areas or another geometry
value, it's safe to deactivate OTF crs for QGIS, from menu Configuration
--> Options --> SRC, before doing the work.

Best wishes

Carlos