[Qgis-user] points won't merge (MMQGIS plugin) / mini-dumps

Kevin Caldwell mtssea at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 9 11:19:54 PDT 2014

Hi - have been using GQIS for a few months now and having a points-merge and crash-error all the sudden.

1) Merging points (using MMQGIS plugin - QGIS offers no basic merge function that I'm aware of) no longer works and I get this error now " Merged layers must all be same type of geometry (point 2.5d != point)".

This simple action I've done 100's of times, but it no longer works.  More confusing is that the only point files I have are taken from handheld GPS (downloaded via DNRGPS) - and all GPS data is strictly Nad83/state plane on the unit, projected as NAD83ft / North Carolina in DNRGPS as well.

I haven't changed this in 10+ yrs in either GPS unit or DNRGPS (formerly DNRGarmin).   All views in QGIS are also projected to NAD83/state plane.

These are all the exact same type of point - just points, entirely unaltered from the GPS or download.   However, when I try to then "convert geometry type" two of my files list they are "2.5 D point" and two are "point".   But - changing the 2.5D point files to point and merging them all together destroys the unique ID # (0-999) within the final, merged points file from rendeing those points useless.

Any ideas on whats causing this?

Last - I am now also frequently getting "mini-dumps" w/ this message "minidump written to C:\Users\Kevin\AppData\Local\Temp\qgis-20140709-125325-2948-5720-d94c044.dmp".   I mean - I'm simply working them boom, "minidump".

Thanks for any help!

Kevin Caldwell

MtsSea /\T yahoo.com