[Qgis-user] Convert Easting/Northing to Lat/Lon

Jürgen qgis_ml at checkin.com
Wed Apr 22 04:07:21 PDT 2015

Hello,

I may be totally stupid, but I have tried to find information, but all I
do fails.

Upon their kind referral I have downloaded the Scottish Government Data
Zone centroids 2011 from
http://sedsh127.sedsh.gov.uk/Atom_data/ScotGov/StatisticalUnits/subfeed_DataZoneCent2011.atom.en.xml
I have loaded the file into QGIS (first Brighton, meanwhile Wien) and
was able to add the OpenStreetMap layer.

Then I tried to export the data for using it with a software that uses
digital lat/lon, but all I get is "Eastings" and "Northings". So I read
I may have to change the CRS, tried with WGS84 Mercator, but that
results in the same. I also tried to toggle edit and recalculate, but
the result when adding geometry $x is again the Eastings/Northings (no
matter which of the CRS I use), not the expected longitude/latitude. I
have installed MMQGIS and plugins upon research on the web to no help.
So yesterday I went three hours (oneway) to a local OSM stammtisch,
where I was told to use PostgreSQL for the task - tried and failed (I am
used to use MySQL, might be my fault). I was also told, more than half
the map-experts wouldn't know how to do this ;-) Unfortunately I need
those data quickly.

Anyone able to help me, possibly also referring me to an existing howto
I did not find for a step-by-step to convert that data and export to CSV
that the CSV contains lat/lon as needed?
If this is not the proper mailing list to address QGIS-questions, please
also advise. Any advise, even reference to somewhere else IS appreciated!

Thank you for any possible help!
Juergen

  * preferably a descriptive title for your email

Convert Easting/Northing to Lat/Lon

  * which Operating System and version

Windows 8.1

  * which QGIS version you used at that moment (exact)

QGIS 2.8.1 Wien

  * how you installed it (osgeo4w? standalone-installer? own build?)

Installer from Website

  * at what time did it break (reinstall, new install, system update,
    project??)

Did not break but doesn't do what I want ;-)

  * what exactly is the error (if possible: screendump, stacktrace, copy
    of errortext)

Unable to convert Easting/Northing to Lat/Lon. See above.