[Qgis-user] How to convert ECW using open source packages into something else?

Simon Cropper contact at simonchristophercropper.com
Mon Aug 3 20:45:07 PDT 2015

Hello,

I have recently tried to get QGIS to work with ECW files.

Despite several days of multiple
installs/reinstalls/uninstalls/lib-upgrades/etc I have not managed to
get ECW to be opened by QGIS. This is really frustrating as I am keen to
use QGIS on an upcoming project.

As an alternative, I would like to pose the following couple of questions...

My first question is, what is a good alternative to ECW files for use on
QGIS?

The second question, how do I convert the ECW file into this format
without using a propriety software package?

--
Cheers Simon