[Qgis-user] How to display SID raster on QGIS 2.10 PISA Kubuntu 15.04 ?

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Thu Aug 20 15:06:12 PDT 2015

Hi

Am 20.08.2015, 17:41 Uhr, schrieb Joachim Bergerhoff <agimjo at gmail.com>:

> Dears, I guess the message title is explicit enough ?
>

> BTW, I have downloaded the SDK 9.1.0 from Imtech.  The ReadMe says:
>
> "INSTALLATION:
>
>  No specific installation is required to use the MrSID SDK beyond
> copying the SDK contents to your local machine.
>
>  After installing, we suggest building and running the example program
> to assure correct installation and behaviour."
>

> But copying the SDK download (unpacked) somewhere on my disk obviously
> is not enough and I am lost when it comes to "building" etc.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joachim

As far as I know, there is no way, but building your own gdal with mrsid
support und Linux. The instructions can be found somewhere in the
qgis-maze, but I don't how up-to-date they are.
I tried once, but as the instructions were not really idiot-proof and I
prefer to use repositories, and as there was no clear instruction to be
found how to deal with incompatibilities, I gave up so far.

I think the masterbrains just compile everything, and the stupid masses
use a virtual Windows machine to transform to geoTIFF (like me).

There was an article mentioned in the list how to produce quite small
geoTIFF some weeks ago:
http://blog.cleverelephant.ca/2015/02/geotiff-compression-for-dummies.html

That's all I can tell
Bernd