[Qgis-user] How to display SID raster on QGIS 2.10 PISA Kubuntu 15.04 ?

Randal Hale rjhale at northrivergeographic.com
Thu Aug 20 15:26:15 PDT 2015

If you want to you can download the MrSid SDK and uncompress the sids on
your linux workstation: http://www.lizardtech.com/downloads/category/
(MrSID SDK)

I downloaded the SDK (placed it in /home/rjhale/apps and wrote a very
small messy script that does the following:
#!/bin/bash

#set library path
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/rjhale/apps/sidgeodecode/bin

#fix the extension
file=$1
newname=`echo $file | sed 's/\(.*\.\)sid/\1tif/'`

#run the Geodecode program
/home/rjhale/apps/sidgeodecode/bin/mrsidgeodecode -wf -i $file -o $newname

It usually takes just a minute or two to uncompress them on my
workstation - for me a sid that is 400 mb usually uncompresses to 6 GB -
with a small amount of work (tiling, pyramid layers) it's renders very
nicely.

I agree - building sid support into QGIS is not for the faint of heart.
I did it once but decided against - I would rather just uncompress them
using this route and be done with it.

Randy

On 08/20/2015 06:06 PM, Bernd Vogelgesang wrote:
> Hi
>
> Am 20.08.2015, 17:41 Uhr, schrieb Joachim Bergerhoff <agimjo at gmail.com>:
>

>     Dears, I guess the message title is explicit enough ?
>

>     BTW, I have downloaded the SDK 9.1.0 from Imtech.  The ReadMe says:
>
>     "INSTALLATION:
>
>       No specific installation is required to use the MrSID SDK beyond
>     copying the SDK contents to your local machine.
>
>       After installing, we suggest building and running the example
>     program to assure correct installation and behaviour."
>

>     But copying the SDK download (unpacked) somewhere on my disk
>     obviously is not enough and I am lost when it comes to "building" etc.
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     Joachim
>

> As far as I know, there is no way, but building your own gdal with
> mrsid support und Linux. The instructions can be found somewhere in
> the qgis-maze, but I don't how up-to-date they are.
> I tried once, but as the instructions were not really idiot-proof and
> I prefer to use repositories, and as there was no clear instruction to
> be found how to deal with incompatibilities, I gave up so far.
>
> I think the masterbrains just compile everything, and the stupid
> masses use a virtual Windows machine to transform to geoTIFF (like me).
>
> There was an article mentioned in the list how to produce quite small
> geoTIFF some weeks ago:
> http://blog.cleverelephant.ca/2015/02/geotiff-compression-for-dummies.html
>
> That's all I can tell
> Bernd