[Qgis-user] Getting There, From Here (How to get this Shapefile into a tablet!)

Adam Sherman adam at sherman.ca
Sat Aug 29 07:46:25 PDT 2015

This is maybe slightly off-topic, but I'm hoping this is the right place to
figure this out: I've been tearing my hair out trying to get from there to
here, so I'm posting in the hope that someone has done this before me.

The Province of Quebec, Canada, now publishes road data in multiple formats:

MapInfo (TAB)
ESRI (SHP)
ESRI (PGDB)
ESRI (FGDB)
Géomédia (MDB)

I opened the SHP in QGIS and it is incredibly detailed! It contains
forestry roads not found in any other data that I have looked at. So, I
want this in my truck. But I have been completely unable to get it to work,
short of carrying my laptop with me.

Anyone have any ideas?

I have:

A MacBook
I can run Windows on it
An Android tablet
A iPad (iOS)

Note: The SHP file is 1.6 GB.

The goal is pretty much any way to get the data onto a tablet with a GPS
app. I don't mind buying some software, either.

Thanks for any and all comments or suggestions,

A.

--
Adam Sherman
Directeur des opérations, Sauvetage bénévole Outaouais