[Qgis-user] request concerning raster-data

Werner Macho werner.macho at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 06:31:31 PST 2015

Hi!

The first question would be - is it a geotif or a "normal" tif?
Where did you get it from?

Usually a tif comes with an asociated tfw file (the so called world
file) for georeferencing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_file
You could try to create this file yourself if you know the coordinates
and the resolution.

As you did not explain what "the coordinates are wrong" means..
Is the file projected but not at the place you expect it to be?
Is the file not projected and "just loaded" somewhere (like a normal photo)?

If the file is projected you only need to either turn on
on-the-fly-reprojection or reproject it.
Is the file not projected you could try the tfw trick - if that does
not work you have to georeference.

The info in your mail is too less to help you - so I just try to guess
some things that could have happened.
>From what you describe in your last sentence - the tfw trick could
help, but you should have gotten the tif file WITH the associated tfw
file from the person you got it from.

hope this helps
kind regards
Werner