[Qgis-user] using rule based styles and ranges at once

Damien Stephens Damien.Stephens at sandfire.com.au
Mon Jan 19 01:25:15 PST 2015

Hi.
I am trying to set up a symbol type from one field and a symbol colour range  from another field.
I have set up several rule based styles for a point layer.
Ie for a given field (name) where the value equals George, I have set the symbol to a black square, for value = dave  the symbol is a black circle etc.
There is a button that appears in the layer properties style window when you set it to rule based, called refine current rule.
This allows you to choose a range from a different field (apples)  for each rule ie for George if the value for apples is between 1 and ten I can chose a colour of blue, between 10 and 20 , green etc.

Unfortunately when I do this, all of the formatting comes across, ie the symbol as well and it overrides the original choice of square, where I only want to change the colour. Anyone know how to fix that?

I have figured out a way around it by initially setting up the ranges then using the data defined properties for the name field, however you cant then see on the legend the names?
thanks

Damien