[Qgis-user] The XML of getcapabilities should not have any ascii code over 128

aperi2007 aperi2007 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 08:14:04 PDT 2015

Hi Mattias,
Sorry, but I cannot show rapidly you the question because I just remove
manually any character that fail the test of xml wellformed response
from our services.

I could try to prepare a testing project, but not just now.

However meanwhile I try to better explain the question:

There are two kind of potential problems in a response to a
getcapabilites request:

Both come from the user that usually fill the fields using a
copy/and/paste. from other kind of document.
Please note that an abstract could be filled with more than one
copy/paste from more document every one with its own Character-set
(utf8, cp1252, and so on) so the abstract became a mix of text in
several character-sets.

I know that if the text pasted is a true UTF8 all go perhaps better.
But when the user fill it using a copy/and/paste from a word document,
it is not using an UTF8 but instead a CP1252 in local language (italian,
francais, english, or deutch language, every one with its own
particular languages characters).
For us they are these:
òàùìè
but also the word microsoft: when the user copy/paste from it a text
with inside a ' char, it became another char

’  char

This char could be acceptable if it was coded in a UT8, but if it is
pasted from a word document in CP1252 it became an unaccptable document
for some (perhaps for several) xml clients.

A second (but not secondary) question is also the potential use of XML
restricted characters inside the text pasted.

An XML could be an utf-8 response, but however it cannot have any of the
expecially characters of XML.

I guess for example to chars <, > , &

So if the user copy/paste a text like:

...The dataset is filtered using the rule [VAR] < 10.000.000

The char "<" if go to fail the response xml.

The better for xml client solution is to put the restricted char inside
a CDATA section or escaping them.
, of-course we could ask to the user to fill the abstract setting every
restricted char inside a CDATA section, but actually QGIS say nothing
for it , so the user don't know is it is pasting a text with some
restricted char.

Hope to better explain the question.

Andrea.