[Qgis-user] The XML of getcapabilities should not have any ascii code over 128

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Sun Oct 4 08:32:01 PDT 2015

Hi Andrea

On 10/04/2015 05:14 PM, aperi2007 wrote:
> I know that if the text pasted is a true UTF8 all go perhaps better.
> But when the user fill it using a copy/and/paste from a word document,
> it is not using an UTF8 but instead a CP1252 in local language
> (italian, francais, english, or deutch language, every one with its
> own  particular languages characters).
> For us they are these:
> òàùìè
> but also the word microsoft: when the user copy/paste from it a text
> with inside a ' char, it became another char
I think the clipboard should already take care of charset conversion?
If it does not, that should probably be fixed instead.

> An XML could be an utf-8 response, but however it cannot have any of
> the expecially characters of XML.
>
> I guess for example to chars <, > , &
> So if the user copy/paste a text like:
>
> ...The dataset is filtered using the rule [VAR] < 10.000.000

They should be escaped / substituted.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1091945/what-characters-do-i-need-to-escape-in-xml-documents
If they are not, please file a bug.

> The char "<" if go to fail the response xml.
>
> The better for xml client solution is to put the restricted char
> inside a CDATA section or escaping them.
> , of-course we could ask to the user to fill the abstract setting
> every restricted char inside a CDATA section, but actually QGIS say
> nothing for it , so the user don't know is it is pasting a text with
> some restricted char.
>
> Hope to better explain the question.

If there is a problem which you are experiencing it should be taken care of.
I am just not sure if the solution of trimming it all to 7-bit ascii is
the preferred one. IMO other fixes should be explored before using this
sledgehammer approach.

Disclaimer:
I am not involved in the server development, so other people may know
better what's required.

Matthias