[Qgis-user] Failed to import OSM data: XML error: Storing node 1, 920, 141, 933 failed.

Andre Joost andre+joost at nurfuerspam.de
Sun Jan 24 22:43:12 PST 2016

Am 25.01.2016 um 03:25 schrieb Jochen Albrecht:
> I am trying to import a full version (700 GBytes) of OSM into SpatiaLIteand
> everything is going smoorthly - until it doesn't. Is there a way to run
> this import in a more transparent fashion, so that I can see what the error
> is? I was surprised that as the import kept chugging along, no disk space
> was consumed on any of my drives (temp, destination).
> I know that some folks out there have been working with the full (planet)
> XML and am now seeking advice as to how they did it (unlikely that it
> worked for them at their first trial).

Your attempt is designed to fail with that amount of data. Consider
spatiaLITE to be a lightweight database. Professional work on OSM data
is made on a Postgis populated by osm2pgsql, and the developers are sure
that this does not work for the full planet on Windows due to OS
restrictions:

https://github.com/openstreetmap/osm2pgsql/issues/472

> I am working with QGIS 2.12.1 64-bit on a choice of Windows 8 or Ubuntu.
> Eventually, I would like to create a TIN of the road network nodes, so I
> need to be able to open the data set sequentially in a database rather than

If you only need the road network, you better filter that out before
using osmosis. This will spare a lot of database size and performing
time. Note that buildings and landuses occupy a lot of the database.

If you still want to work on spatialite, start with a small extract from
geofabrik, and test further with larger ones until the database collapses.

HTH,
André Joost