[Qgis-user] degrees: is degr/min/sec still used? Or decimal preferable?

Tobias Wendorff tobias.wendorff at tu-dortmund.de
Sun Apr 9 23:47:44 PDT 2017

Hi there,

I had a similar discussion some days ago. It was not about deg/min,
about about precision. But the discussion isn't not that far away.

QGIS, GDAL and other tools are locked to IEEE 754 arithmetics.
I often had problems with this in the past, since only 14-15 digits
behind the dot/comma can be trusted at all.

So when using decimal degress with a higher resolution, you might
ran into problems. Better store them as string, like in good old Excel.

But also three digits make a problem. I've tried a QGIS plugin, which
shows the WKT output of the current geometry. Since I'm working in a
metric projection (UTM32N), I'm fine with three digits at millimeter
level. The plugin has thrown out crazy values with 15 digits:

Input geometry was 593024.302, plugin's output was 593024.30009235432
or anything like that. That's a no go for a GIS, which could be used
in cadastre offices :D

Best regards,
Tobias