[Qgis-user] New user

Stephen Wandling swandling at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 10:03:08 PST 2017

Brent,

Thanks for the reply.  I had spent literally hours on the geogratis site
and always came away empty handed.  But, after your email, I gave it
another try, and found useful data!

I seem to have a genetic aversion to acronyms, which may also have
something to do with my being 76. ;-)   Their layered menus are strings
of acronyms, but I selected things at various levels.  After sending my
request off to what I am sure is a robot (Canadian govrnment employees
sitting around to process my 10:30 PM request.  Not.) I received a
download link.  With the data, combined with data from the local
Regional District, I was able to create a useful map.

I have to confess that I built that map in ArcMap.   I was drawn to QGIS
by the belief that they would have a friendly community that could
rescue me when needed.  And I was right.  But, I have struggled with
ESRI software for years to get to the primitive level I now reside on.
The thought of having to learn a whole new software was too daunting, at
least for now.

Thanks again.

Stephen

PS: Can I attach files, such as PDFs on the list?